What Happens When You Don’t Change Your Furnace’s Air Filter
One of the most routine problems that we encounter at Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning in Philadelphia is dirty air filters. They may seem like a very tiny piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a host of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you might encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the largest problem you’ll note when your home’s air filter is very clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder as a result of a clogged air filter, you also run the danger of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any possible damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters we carry, give Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning a call at 215-259-5850 or schedule an appointment online.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have transformed home comfort and made it possible to stay wonderfully cozy in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a convenient way to regulate the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled air... Continue reading
Eight Common Heating Misconceptions Debunked
There are lots of myths out there about home heating that lead to confusion and inefficient furnace usage. It’s time to get the facts out there. Here, the heating specialists at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing debunk the eight most common myths to keep your home... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with easy and effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about maximizing efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading