Every year over 20,000 people visit the hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Calverley Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries annually.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to verify the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like porcelain tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, purchase a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to warm your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned yearly.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating equipment is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Calverley Service Experts will check to ensure your furnace is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 817-380-5647 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.