Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is on? There's a strong probability there’s something wrong with your unit. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems down the road. We're going to help you understand what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling usually indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't identify where the noise is coming from, that's alright. A technician can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Look through our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for additional information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your outside unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Check out our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep using my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without looking at your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's an issue with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's better to get problems corrected right away. Calling a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.