Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your home, being comfy in your new space regardless of outdoor temperatures is a priority. However, they can present a unique situation for heating and cooling. This is due to the fact installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the increased load, because it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most cost-effective solutions is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Find out more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition could be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, since they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient as they transfer heat to make your space more comfortable. In fact, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for extra rebates and decrease your energy costs for years to come.
Another exclusive feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room typically has a dedicated indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is particularly beneficial if you have a area with precise temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than adding ductwork and relying on your current heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the exact figure will depend on your unique situation, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your house in advance of the addition. This can overwork your system and make it fail more quickly.
- Your comfort could decrease. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could decrease if your system is required to cover a larger area. Your heating and cooling could be less effective, and your utility costs may go up since the system needs to turn on more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Calverley Service Experts, we’ll help you get the right size for your new addition. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or greater when routinely maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Calverley Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Calverley Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 817-380-5647 today to request a free consultation and estimate.