Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are many potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it needs to be taken very seriously. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do:

  1. If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Calverley Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning in Fort Worth to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start having some of the symptoms listed above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Calverley Service Experts in Fort Worth at 817-380-5647 to learn more.